Tuesday, January 10, 2017

SchoolhouseTeachers.com My REVIEW of a great resource!!


Our homeschool journey began kind of on a whim (well, not really a whim, but basically we moved to a new state, couldn't find a Christian school, and therefore made a decision [in August] to homeschool for that next schoolyear and jumped right in).  I wanted to explain that because we didn't spend years and years researching homeschool materials or plans, we kind of leapt right in.  Possibly due to that there are MANY great homeschool resources which I have not known about, even in the 7 schoolyears (maybe we're in a rut?)

I am very excited that this year I get to belong to an organization  whose members review various homeschool resources!  My very first review is for a wonderful online resource called SchoolhouseTeachers.com .  As a part of this year's Homeschool Review Crew I have the opportunity to tell you about the Yearly Membership for SchoolhouseTeachers.com .  I had never seen this online product before, but as I explored the options within it I began mentally planning the addition of so many classes for my children!  As a matter of fact, I let my children look it over and they made lists of so many classes they were interested in that I don't know if they'll have the time to take them all this schoolyear or if it'll spread into next schoolyear.


High-quality, Self-paced, Online Homeschool Resources {SchoolhouseTeachers.com}


The website has a helpful "start here" button on the navigation bar on the top of the page to orient you to the options and how to use the site.  There is an easy way to see all the courses available, by clicking on the "quick links."  There are also other ways to navigate by grade level or subject.


We have tried online classes before and know what works for us.  If a lot of time is taken up searching for where you left off or where the actual class is, then we tend not to use it,  This website seems to be very easy to navigate, even for my children, who are in 7th, 9th, and 11th grades.  Lessons on SchoolhouseTeachers.com range in topic from your basic core classes to many different electives (arts, computers, languages, and more!)

My 7th grader took a different geology class first semester and was anxious to try the geology class offered here.  She jumped right in and has been filling in her journal, worksheets, and charts while watching the lessons.
She really enjoys the descriptive videos

The lesson plans and video give directions for her journal/worksheets
Besides geology, my 7th grader has also begun French, Middle School Health, and Keyboarding.  There are various formats for the different classes (some mostly audio, some with worksheets, some with interactive .pdf's, and more!

Wondering what my other kids will be using?  My oldest, who is very interested in computer science and design has been using the Image Editing and Creation (and loving the open source editing program GIMP which was introduced in this class -- she didn't know about that beforehand!).  She is also beginning Foundations for Teens, with Right Now Media videos and worksheets/essay questions.  She's using the French as a bit of a review and wants to try the SQL Server Beginner Course if she can fit it into her schedule.

(after)                                        (before)
Here's a sample of one of her edited photos

My 9th grade son has been learning about ancient history and will be using the Drive Thru History Ancient History.  Actually the whole family loves these videos, we used to watch them when they were on Netflix several  years ago, so we'll probably all watch them just for fun :) but hey, educational value too!  It definitely enhances his ancient history studies!  
We all enjoy the Drive Thru History videos!

Okay, so you probably get that I love the variety of options of classes in this website.  There are classes for so many different age groups, too; preschool options, elementary, middle school, high school, and even classes for parents!!

Besides all the classes, there are many other benefits to using this product.  There is a large resource section with items such as certificates, planners, free printable calendars, and a recordkeeping and transcript-generating product called applecore, which you receive access to with your Yearly Membership to SchoolhouseTeachers.com.  

Whew, that's a lot of info, isn't it?  Long story short...I love this product.  Where has this been all my homeschooling life? (well, it's been here, I just didn't know about it! :) )  I would very highly recommend this product to homeschooling parents with children of all ages.  It is very inexpensive for what all you get from it. I think it is well worth your money.  They even offer discounts to civil servants (military as well as police, firefighters, and such) as well as to small groups and co-ops. Until January 15, 2017 they have a sale going on for 50% off the regular annual cost!

We'll definitely be using this resource all year long.  




High-quality, Self-paced, Online Homeschool Resources {SchoolhouseTeachers.com}


Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment